Total Pageviews

22 January, 2015

Anything, Everything --


Forts, monuments, pilgrimage and historical places of our country attract me very strongly.  Each fort has a history, each monument has a story, each pilgrimage and historical place has special importance.  When we start to know and understand such place, we feel that, we become closer to history, religion, custom and culture of our country. We start to appreciate diversity, plurality, richness and vastness of our country. 


Whenever I go Calcutta, I must visit Belur Math. Tranquil atmosphere of the Matt accentuate me to ponder over the meaning of life. I sit in the main hall and spend hours in meditation. The peace and joy that I feel at that place that cannot be expressed in words. That campus reminds me the sacred words of swami Vivekananda –“If one religion is true, other must be true”.  What a noble thought he had for humanity!




Every place of pilgrimage has its own special characteristics.  If Belur math I remember for its tranquility, Puskar I remember for its beautiful ponds, rustic environment and superb hospitality offered by the locals. I visited Puskar thrice and each time I stayed there more than four days. 
Whenever I visit religious place of any religion, I always ask myself , am I connecting to this place, am I connecting to this faith, am I connecting to God and all the time I get my answer in affirmation . Many times, I observed that, without any rhythm or reason I cry   when I am inside temple, mosque,church, gurudwara or dargah.  Why I cry, I never get the answer of this question. Perhaps, I have only worthless tears to offer to the God. 

When I was in class five at that time, I had read a book ‘The Important historical places of India’. The book had list of thirty important historical places of our country. That book contained very interesting facts about history and kings too. One such fact was that when King Akbar was nineteen years old, first time he saw the sea. Another such fact was that iron pillar inside the qutubminar campus Delhi is more than eight century old but this pillar is rust free. When I was reading that book, I cherished to see all the places   I have visited almost all the places mentioned in the book. That book mentioned eight important fort of the country, today I was counting I visited more than twelve forts of the country. And yes! I too saw and bathed in the sea (in Chennai) when I was nineteen years old. :)


At Sea Beach

Except northeast (Seven sisters), I have visited all the states at least once.  Still many famous places of our country I yet to visit, yet to explore. In fact, I want to explore many famous places of the world. A long wish list.  Such a long list that sometimes I feel that one life is not enough. Ghalib chacha has rightly said ‘Hajaron khwaeshain aisi ki har khwaesh pe dam nikle-’



~~~ Ramanuj Dubey


No comments:

Post a Comment