Total Pageviews

18 July, 2018

Beggar Stories , Diary notes III - I am not a prostitute, I am just a beggar


M.Lalitha ,narrating her stories


She was begging along with another women beggar nearby the entrance of the temple of the Charminar. When I when went to her, I found her drunk, smell of liquor was emanating from her body and clothes. I tried to talk with another beggar who was appearing a mentally challenged. She did not show any interest to talk with me. Then I tried to talk with her but she was not keen to interact. Meanwhile a Policeman came there and asked the purpose of interaction. I showed him questionnaire and explained about the study. He seemed satisfied with the answer and left.
When policeman left, she asked, -“Will you provide me a bottle of wine?”
“No, I cannot. I do not have money to give you liquor. I am doing a study on beggars. I would like to ask few questions.”
“  You also think me prostitute. I am not a prostitute, I am just a beggar. These police think that I am a dhandhewali, a prostitute. They think I earn a lot from selling my body. You see, I do not have money even to drink.”
I assured her, -“No, I do not think you are a prostitute, you are just a beggar.”
She continued her story, - “My name is M. Lalitha, born in a beggar family and begging since childhood. My father was very protective and never allowed anybody to come near me. He did not let me work in others house fearing that something bad might happen to me. When I was around 18-20 years old, I got married. My husband was a laborer, used to work every day. I also used to work in marriage season in function hall. My life was going smoothly. Suddenly my husband died of some unknown disease. My world collapsed and I mourned for months. Now question was before me that I should I do now. I had no option but to start begging again. If I had not begged, I would have starved to death.
I was listening to her with rapt attention. She looked at me and said, - “see, in such circumstances, I did not sell myself, do you think today I will sell my body?”
“Did not you marry again?”- I asked.
She paused for few seconds then continued, - “I married with an auto driver, but he does not acknowledge our marriage. He does not want to live with me.
“When he does not want to live with you then why did he marry you?”- I wanted to know.
“He did not marry me.”- She replied.
I was perplexed. First, she told me that auto driver married her then she is contradicting her statement.
“Tell me the truth from the beginning, how did you meet and marry him”
“This is the story of few years ago. It was late night and I was going alone in the street. It was dark and the auto driver was standing by the auto. He told me that he would drop me off at my place but he took me isolated place and forced upon me. I resisted but he overpowered me. I threatened him that I would tell everybody about it. He got scared. He promised that he would marry me and took me to his room. There he provided me food, clothes and other necessary items. For two-three weeks, he did not allow me to do any work. He would cook, clean the room and do all the household chores. Latter, He told me to do all the work. Three month passed and I became pregnant. During my pregnancy, he looked after me well. I gave the birth of a boy. During that time, also I did not understand what was going on his mind. One day he along with his friend drank with me. After drinking, he left the house and his friends forcefully had sex with me.  After Two days of this incident, he came and told me to leave the room. When I opposed, he dragged me from the room and threw on the road. He took away my son and left the place forever. He ran away from here leaving me on footpath.”
“Did not you inform about it to police?” – I asked.
“No. Police think that I am a dhandewali. Recently police falsely implicated me in a helmet theft that took place nearby temple. The police detained me for a day, but I was innocent. I made hue and cry, told police that they could not put me behind the bar for doing nothing. Then one senior policewala came and he allowed me to go. This is my story. Will you give me eighty rupees? I want to drink, I cannot live without drink.”
“I do not have money for liquor. Tell me, when did you start drinking?”- I asked her next question.
“ I started drinking at very early age but used to drink occasionally. When I was living with auto driver, he would bring liquor everyday and we would drink together. After losing my son, now I have become addict. I can live without food, without air but not without liquor. I drink three times everyday. Each time I pay eighty rupees to shopkeeper.
I showed my helplessness to her in giving money for liquor.  I had fear that she might not continue interaction but she cooperated and responded all the points of questionnaire.
When I was leaving the charminar, she asked me,-“Do you come this side in night time also?”
“No, but why are you asking this question to me?”
“You can come and see even in night time, I am not a prostitute, I am just a beggar.”- She replied.


~~~ Ramanuj Dubey




No comments:

Post a Comment