Total Pageviews

18 July, 2018

Beggar Stories, Diary notes VI – Some Unforgettable Interaction of the Field Study


  
After interaction , taking selfie with elderly beggar

When I greeted him, he was talking to himself sitting on the cemented bench of the railway station. He looked askance at me. I explained him about the study on beggar and broached the topic of his life. However, he gave me the answer of few questions but seemed uninterested in conversation. Meanwhile two passengers who were watching me talking to beggar also came near to us. When they came, that time I was asking to him about personnel information.
After asking about his age, education etc, I asked about his marital status. He did not reply.
I asked him again, “are you married?”
With raised voice he replied – “Why are you asking about my wife?”
“We would like to know about you, your marital status, your family, how you live. All these information are important for the study”- I tried to explain. What I wanted to explain, perhaps he did not understand but he remained silent.
“How many kids you have”- I asked next question.
This question infuriated him. Suddenly he got up and hurled volley of abuses on me. I was completely taken aback by his behavior but I did not lose my calm. He stood there for few seconds then went other side of the railway station.
One passenger who was observing us from the beginning, reacted, - “How much he abused you for no reason. If any other person were in your place, he would have thrashed him. Do not you feel insulted / offended?
I smiled to see his reaction.  I replied – “My ‘ego /self’ is not so weak that it can get offended or insulted by a mentally disturbed beggar. I know who I am and what I am doing. I sympathize with him.” 

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

Seventy-two years old beggar Mohammad was resting on a wooden platform nearby roadside. A towel was spread before him and few coins and notes were kept on it. I sat by him and asked about his life, childhood, family etc. When I asked him – “How much many do you get in a day by begging?” he got annoyed.
He said angrily, - “I do not beg. I am not a beggar. I sit here and I get money. People give me money.”
“But what do you give to the people in return of their alms”- I reasoned.
“I give my blessing to them. I bless everyone. People like my blessing that is why they come and give me money. How can you say me a beggar?”- He asked.


*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

I found Shekh Liyakat agaed around fourty-five years old in Charminar area where he was walking in the street and asking for alms from the shopkeeper and passerby . I stopped by him and requested him to give the answer of the questionnaire. He was abnormally white from top to toe. He was suffering from albinism. (Albinism is a condition in which a person or animal lacks pigment /colour, so that they have white skin and white hair).
He laughed at me. “Beggar! Do I look like a beggar?”
I did not reply.
He continued – “In this area everyone knows me. They call me Gore miya, Gora sahab. I am born like a sahab, an English man.”
“ That is fine. Please tell me about your personnel information”. I opened the bag and took out cardboard and questionnaire sheet.
“Shall I give my information false or true”? He was not at all serious.
“Why will you give me wrong information? Give me right information”
He smiled and said – “ok, ask?”
“What is your qualification?”
“I am English man, Gora sahab. It does not suit my personality to tell others that I am less educated. Write M.A. or B.A.”
“Please tell me the truth” – I was amused as well as irritated.
“B.A.  Write B.A.”
“Married?”
“ Yes, my wife stays in the village with children .I live here in Hyderabad. I am the only beggar in this street who pays two thousands rupees per month house rent. I live like a king. I beg only for six days, do not come for begging on Sunday. I have my own rules.”
I noticed he was not giving correct information to any question. He was making fun of everything.
I asked about his children.
“Elder daughter got married and now living with her husband. My son is studying in government school. Whenever I go to village, I take gift for him from here.”
“Do you want to quit begging?”- I asked.
“Why should I? When people are treating me like a Sahab why should I quit”- He said arrogantly.
“What your son says about your work? Does your family approve this work? Why do not you bring him here and admit him in any English school. This area will have Gora sahab and Chhota sahab too?”- I suggested.
I observed that first time during the interaction he became serious. He was trying to control his emotion but could not do so. He broke down and started crying. I was shocked to see his reaction. I gave him water and tried to comfort him.
After few minutes, he confessed – “Sahab, truth is that, I am illiterate, I do not have any skill. I cannot do any labor work, as I cannot stay in sunlight for long time. I have eyes problem and skin disease. I want my son to become an educated person and lead a dignified life. Please pardon me for my behavior”.

*          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *          *         

She was sitting on the bus stand bench, lost in her thought. She looked tired, exhausted. There was something strange in her eyes .They were giving the reflection of pain and pessimism. I went up to her and said – “Amma, you look exhausted. Must be a tiring day for you”
She looked at me but did not say anything.
“Do you want to drink water?”- saying so, I took out the bottle from the bag and handed over water bottle to her.
It was afternoon; temperature must have been 37-38 degree Celsius. She gulped down half of the water from the bottle.
“Now I am feeling better”- She murmured. I smiled.
“What do you want”- she asked to me.
“Nothing”-I replied. “I am doing a study on beggars’ life. Would like to know your life, your story”.
“There is nothing much in my life. I am a beggar, this is my present, this is my future. Now I do not think much about it”.
She was not willing to talk about her life. I explained her how her story may help in understanding this problem and persuaded her to tell her story. Around forty-five minute she narrated her stories. When I took out my phone to take her photo, she got angry.
 “Why are you taking my photos? Thinking you an educated person, I opened up before you but you are trying to take advantage of my situation. I won’t allow you to take my photographs.”
Seeing her strong objection, I put my mobile in my pocket. Then I took out questionnaire sheet and requested her to reply. Now she was not interested. She did not want her story or profile to be documented. She requested me not to tell or write her story anywhere. I promised her, I wouldn’t.
Her story troubles me a lot. I felt she was a genuine one who suffered a lot, fought against all odds throughout her life and tried her level best to lead a dignified life but she could not succeed in doing so.  


~~~ Ramanuj Dubey






No comments:

Post a Comment