Total Pageviews

07 February, 2019

Project Work I - Master of Labour Management & Project work



After completion of Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Development Management (PGDRDM) from National Institution of Rural Development (NIRD ), I joined the organization Society for Elimination of Rural Poverty (SERP ) as Young Professional in September 2010. At that time , one of my friends was very keen to do Master of Labour Management (MLM ) course from Madurai Kamraj University – Directorate of Distance Education (MKUDDE) . He was persuading me to enroll in this course . He knew that before joining the PGDRDM course in NIRD, I was also interested in Human Resourse Management course . It was true that I was interested in Human resourse Management because I was able to see the direct application of theatre learning’s to this field . I had applied to take admission in Tata Institute of Social sciences (TISS ) and Delhi School of Economics (DSE)  in 2008 . In TISS, I passed the written examination but could not qualify interview and In Dehli School of Economics HR course , I was in waiting list of successful candidates and even called by institution for admission counseling but could not get admission (this is a long story, will write about it in detail some other day ) . One day my friend brought prospectus of the university (MKDDE ) for me.  I took the admission in 2011-12 batch and interestingly due to some unforeseen reasons my friend did not take the admission.

There were nine subjects in the Master of Labour Management . These were – Labour and Social Economics, Trade Unionism and Labour Welfare, Industrial Relations, Organisational Behaviour and Human Resourse Management , Training and Development , Wage and Employment Administration, Labour Legislation , Social Research and Statistics and project. Out of nine subjects, five subjects ( Social Economics, Organisational Behaviour and Human Resourse Management , Training and Development,Social Research and Statistics and project ) were also the part of PGDRDM course and I had good command over these subjects. Master of Labour Management course of MKUDDE appeared easy for me. I took the examination of first year in April 2012 ( could not appear in Nov 2011 ) and second year examination in November 2012 and passed all the subject . I wanted to do project work properly with any good organization, that I could not do that time. One subject ‘Project’ was left to complete the MLM course.  

In 2013-14, I was completely involved in creative field, got opportunity to work for a TV serial ‘Danav Hunters (aired on Epic Channel ), did few local brand advertisements, short films , few theatre shows and was a founder member of a registered theatre group.

In 2015, I was associated with ‘Disha Skills’ for a brief period of three months. One PGDRDM student of NIRD was intern with Disha Skills and under my guidance he successfully conducted the study on the topic – ‘Unemployment status of rural youth in ITDA Bhadrachalam , Khammam, Telangana’ . During that period I had gone through good number of books on Training and Development and prepared notes on this subject for workshop purpose. In the back of my mind there was also an intention to conduct project work  to complete the MLM course. The organization ‘Disha Skills’ wanted me to shift from Hyderabad to Raipur for skill development related government project implementing work, that proposal I politely refused. Again I got involved into creative world; got opportunity to work in film ‘Ghazi’ and few other creative works.

Correspondence course has its own merits and demerits . Study centre plays an important link between students and university. I had done ‘Bachelor of Public Relations’ one year post graduate course from Ambedkar open university I had good experience of study centre and university. Unfortunately , I have unpleasant experience of the study centre, Hyderabad of MKUDDE  so far. During examination time , I had to pay few hundred rupees to the study centre official for admit card despite of the fact that I had admit card downloaded from the MKUDDE website. I had blazing row with the coordinator of the study centre but he cited this was the rule of the centre. Every occasion, from filling up the form for examination fee to collection of mark sheet centre used to collect extra charges from the mentioned charges. After passing all the theory papers , it was not so that I had not approached to the study centre for Project work. In February 2013, I had prepared preparatory work for project work and wanted to get guidelines of university regarding project ( There was no course material issued for project by university ). The coordinator demanded money for the same and he had his own reasoning and justifications for the demand. I had again argument with him and he advised me to contact university for the same.  The whole process was very frustrating and it demotivated me completely. I did not work further on the project work that time .


In 2017, I conducted the study on beggars that was enlightening experience for me (I have shared the experiences of the diary notes on few blog post last year). During that time I decided to conduct study for Project paper and on 6th November  2017, I paid the examination fee for Project at study centre. I tried to find any good organization where I can conduct study related to labour management . I discussed this matter with few friends but could not get organization for study.  One day I was listening the news on Skill related training on All India Radio. The idea sparked in my mind that why should not I conduct study on training and development on the skill development training centre. My Friend and one batch junior of PGDRDM, NIRD , Mr. Surajit Sikdar is working as Ast. Director, Skills in NIRD. I approached him and requested him to link me to any good skill development organization for study. He coordinated with Apollo Medskills and facilitated the organization for the study. I met with the chief executive officer, Apollo Medskills, Hyderabad and with his permission I started the study in the organization. I got the permission to conduct study in the April 2018. I again paid the examination fee for evaluation of project at study centre on 26th April 2018. April to November , I visited many times training centres and Apollo Medskills Headquarters, conducted meeting with stakeholders, circulated questionnaires, interviewed staffs, made numbers of calls and sent emails to collect data and study related information. I collected responses from Centre Head, Quality executive, eight trainers, ninety-eight trainees, sixty passed out trainees, four employers of hundred Apollo medskills trained employees. 

The Project report was completed on 22nd November 2018 and at that day; I got the project report bound and sent it to the University for the Evaluation of the project work. I am awaiting the communication from the university regarding the result. My plan is to publish the report in any journal or HR website. Meanwhile I am publishing the portion of report from Chapter I- Back ground of the study, Chapter IV- Data Analysis & Interpretations and Chapter V- Conclusion in few blog posts . 


I express my deep sense of gratitude to Dr. W.R.Reddy, Director General, NIRD&PR, and Assistant Director, Skills, Mr. Surajit Sikdar for facilitating me study organization “Apollo Medskills, Hyderabad” for Project work. I am grateful to Dr. Pulijala Srinivasa Rao, CEO, Apollo Medskills,Hyderabad for his help and cooperation  during my project work in the organization. I am also thankful to all Apollo Medskills staffs, Training centre staffs, trainers, trainees, passed out trainees and employers of passed out trainees who participated in the study. I am thankful to Dr. Srinivasa Rao (ex-faculty, NIRD & PR) who went through some portion of  my project report and gave valuable suggestion for the study. I am also thankful to Mr. Shiva Prasad, student od development studies , TISS, Hyderabad who helped me understanding the responses of questionnaires of some trainees that was given in Telugu language.


Whenever I undergo any course or conduct study, it makes me aware and conscious about the society and surroundings with new perspectives   I feel more enlightened and awakened about the people and their related issues. .  Sometimes many observations and learning of study do not features in data and report writing for various reasons but those learning and encounters help me to become a better informed human being and a mature artist.



~~~ Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment