Total Pageviews

12 August, 2015

Didi, Books & I



I was in class six or seven when I first met with Didi. She had come to live in our neighborhood. Her father was in the education department and earlier he was posted in other districts. This time her father got posting in home district, so they shifted in their ancestral home that was in my neighborhood. They were perhaps distant relative of my family from my mother side.

I saw didi first time, when I went to her house to inform and invite in the puja ceremony that was going to take place in my house. She called me in and in a breath; I informed her about the schedule of puja and requested all family member to attend it. She smiled and told me to sit on sofa. After that, she asked about my name, school, friends and my hobby. She offered me a glass of sherbet that I refused. Then, she gave comics to read that I accepted immediately. She pampered me and I liked her from bottom end of my heart.

After coming from the school, usually I used to spend evening time alone on the roof playing virtual cricket. I used to throw a plastic ball against the wall and depending upon the boomeranged distance, I would count the run. I would throw ten over for each team and then depending on run, I would declare who won the match. This game was entirely my invention; secretly I used to feel proud about it. One day   I was playing virtual cricket on my roof and when I threw the ball, incidentally it reached to her house. When I went her house to pick up the ball, she saw me. I went inside her home and chatted with her whole evening. She had many old children magazines – Nandan, Parag, Balhans, Bal Bharti, Champak etc and comics of all famous character – Chacha Choudhry, Pinky, Dhruv, Bankelal etc. Besides that, she had good collection of novels. From that day, I made a habit to go her house in evening and take one to two books from her. Next day I would return the book and then again take two books. Within six months, I exhausted her magazine and comics collections. Then after, I switched on to novels. I would take a novel from her and finish that in two- three days. Many times she would ask the story to check whether I had read the book or not. I never failed in her test. At that time, I used to purchase only children magazine Nandan but after that, I would purchase all children magazine and comics that used to come in the town. Within a year, I also had a good collection of books, now I used to give her new books. She would read children magazine with enthusiasm.

Didi had a harmonium and occasionally she used to play it. Somebody told me she sings very well. One day I went to her and expressed my desire to hear song from her. She looked surprised to see my interest in music. She told to come next day and next day when I went there she was already doing riyaz. She sang few songs. She had good voice and I praised her profusely.

When I was in class eight, she was doing master in Hindi literature.  One day I was going market, carrying a bag in my hand, I saw didi with her friends coming from the college. She called me and introduced me to all her friends. I was feeling shy, but she made to recite few poems from my syllabus (textbook). Her all friends applauded me. I was very much delighted.

I was in perhaps class X, when she got married. I actively participated in her marriage ceremony and assisted the family. I felt very emotional inside when she was going to bridegroom’s house.

One day I came to know that Didi has come to her father’s house. In the evening, I went to see her. When I went there, I saw her writing something. She welcomed me and offered some sweets.  she was writing some letters and exhorted me to wait in drawing room. Almost half an hour passed, she continued to write. I was still waiting in the drawing room. I felt ignored. Without informing her, I came to my house. I locked up my room and wept bitterly. After that, I never met her.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey 

No comments:

Post a Comment