Total Pageviews

18 August, 2015

The Political Activist --



One day when I was cleaning my room in the hostel, chaman came to my room for stapler. I gave him stapler, he stapled few papers that was in his hand and then asked “Bhai ji, May I help you?” and without waiting for my answer, he picked up the broom that was kept in the corner of the room and started cleaning the ground. I kept telling him not to do but he would not listen. He stopped only when he finished cleaning the room.

He was the only one who was not a local student in the hostel. Two years back, He had come along with my friend to stay in the hostel. My friend was in Intermediate and chaman had passed the matriculation that year. He was from a poor family, unable to afford further education. He had come as attendant of my friend. He would cook, wash utensils, clean the cloths and do all odd jobs for my friend. My friend used to treat him well and chaman was getting a monthly stipend for his work. When my friend cleared engineering entrance examination, he requested others to allow chaman to stay in the hostel. Due to my friend’s initiative, he took admission in intermediate at remote area of the Bhagalpur district. When I joined hostel, at that time, I was in Bsc.I (first) part and my friend had already left the hostel for engineering course. Chaman used to help everybody so all welcomed his stay in the hostel. His original name was something else but students changed his name chamanlal, and he gracefully accepted it.

One morning, chaman came to my room and asked “Bhai ji, what is meaning of volunteer?”
When I told the Hindi meaning of it, he told he knew the Hindi meaning. He wanted to understand the concept of volunteerism. I reminded him the day he cleaned my room without my telling, or getting any remuneration that was the act of volunteerism. What was my understanding of term ‘volunteer and volunteerism’ that time, I tried to make him understand. When I finished my speech, then he revealed he had become volunteer to a political party. I wondered, what was the need of asking the meaning when he had already become volunteer. This was his unique way to inform latest happenings in his life to others. I was thinking him simpleton, but that day I realized I was wrong.

Next month I saw him many times pasting posters on the road, hanging banner on the buildings, offices and other public places. Earlier he used to travel by walk or sharing auto. His volunteer work provided him a new bicycle and good remuneration. He was busy and looked happy. Some hostel friend resented his absence in hostel or not doing any errand for them, but they were helpless in taking action against him. He would enjoy this situation and discuss on political subject and during discussion he would show that how much local leader loved him. His changed status made him bit arrogant but he used to be very courteous with me.

We had a friend whose maternal uncle was a doctor. We used to visit him for attestation of mark sheets and other documents frequently. Many times, he would leave checking patients to do our attestation work. One day he told my friend that he could use stamp, medical registration and small signature for attestation of forms. He cautioned my friend to use his name only for him or his close friends whom he knew well. When my friend revealed this, at that time chaman was also there. He attentively heard our talk and asked –“is this not wrong”. My friend defended saying that when he would sign only those documents that were original, how this would be wrong.


After few days, I saw chaman attesting documents of the students and taking ten rupees from each one in the hostel. I checked the stamp; it was of a doctor. When I enquired, he revealed that the doctor was relative of local leader. After hearing our talk that day, he thought why not he should do the same and discussed with the leader. Leader permitted him to do so, and he started attestation business. Without any guilt or compunction he told – “Bhai ji, there is nothing wrong in it. One way I am helping students from running office to office for attestation. Like your friend, I only sign those documents, which are genuine. I meticulously check every document with originals”. I was speechless. First time I found such shrewd characteristics in him. I felt warned and started avoiding him.

One day the political party in which he was volunteer, called the city Bandh. I had gone to a relative’s house that day when I was coming back, I saw him with other party workers, forcing shopkeeper to close their shops. I saw he had a rod in his hand, and he was arguing with the shopkeeper. Suddenly he looked enraged and he pushed the shopkeeper and smashed his glass counter with rods. I was shocked to see his this incarnation. Once he was such a meek guy and here he was so aggressive and violent. When I came to hostel, rested on bed but I was restless inside. What I had seen in the market, I was unable to believe. That night Chaman came to me, perhaps he had seen me in the market. He explained – “bhai ji, politics is very complex things, it makes you to do all nasty things that you do not want to do”. When he saw me uninterested in his explanation, he changed the subject – “bhaiji, I am no longer a volunteer now; neta ji has told me that I have graduated from volunteer to political activist. Will you explain bhaiji, what is political activist?” I was unable to stand his presence and pretention. I told him to go, as I was not well. After that, I ignored him completely until my hostel period.

Last time when I was in Bihar, I came to know that he got a job in a private limited company due to  recommendation of his neta ji and now he is leading a peaceful and apolitical life.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment