Total Pageviews

17 August, 2015

The Examination and The Communication Gap..



On Friday, our physics teacher announced in the class – “Tomorrow afternoon, when class is over, you all need to write examination for one and half hours. The question will be asked from mathematics, English , science and social science and all questions will be objective type question.”
“But sir, we have just finished our second trimester examination”- I was astonished to hear about the examination.
He gave a mysterious smile and spoke – “this is not your class examination. The purpose of the examination is something different. You do not think about all these thing, just write the examination.”

When he left the class, all students gathered and started discussing about the examination. Even class monitor had no clue about the examination. Everybody had his/her own version about the examination. The class monitor went to teachers’ common room to bring information about it. This was the first time we were to write examination in objective type only. “What could be the purpose of it” – Every student was wondering.

“May be this time, we are going to get some jobs from the government.  Job related examination is done in completely objective type. The government is conducting the examination now so that when our study will be over, we will get job immediately”- It was my classmate whose brother recently had job in the Bank. We laughed at his wild imagination. Meanwhile the class monitor came back from the teachers’ common room. He looked very excited. He revealed – “I could not talk about it with the sir but I overheard him talking about examination to other sirs. This examination has something to do with Santiniketan, Bengal. Perhaps Santiniketan School wants to take good students from here that’s why they are conducting examination in our school”
“But I want to study here only, I do not want to go other place”- I did not like the idea of going there to study further. Many students shared the same sentiments. “If this is the purpose, then I won’t come tomorrow school”- I informed the class monitor.
He looked puzzled and lowering his tone, he spoke to me – “I am not completely sure about admission in Santiniketan. May be our teacher conducting this examination for scholarship. They may give some scholarships to us”.

Next day, I went straight way to physics teacher and told – “Sir, I do not want to go Santiniketan, I want to study here”. He was reading a political weekly magazine and hearing my plea about school, he looked perplexed. “Santiniketan is a good place, established by Gurudev Rabindranath Tagore. If you get opportunity to visit there, you must go there”- I wanted to argue but he cut me short- “go prepare the examination and do well”.

With heavy heart, I came out of the office. Morning, I made a plan, not to do well in the examination. If I would not do well, how I would be selected. Afternoon, I was surprised to see that the examination was conducted by my neighbor, who was doing a course in Santiniketan. I had to change my plan. How bad my impression would be in his eyes, if I did not do well in the examination. When paper was given, I remembered Hanuman Baba and wrote the examination. There were hundred questions to be solved in ninety minutes and I solved the entire questions. I was satisfied with my examination.

Months passed but our teacher did not announce the result of the examination. Meanwhile, I made up my mind, if I would pass, I would not go to Santiniketan . However, I was curious to know my result/ my marks in different subjects. One day, during lunch recess I went to teachers’ common room and saw physics teacher taking nap. I woke up him and asked – “When our result will be out and when the session of Santiniketan will start?”
He looked confused. It seemed he did not understand what I asked. He admonished me – “the examination was not conducted for any purpose, it was only to check your knowledge. Do not disturb me, go and play in the field”. I obeyed him but my answer was still unanswered.

Six week after this incident, I saw my neighbor chatting with my grandfather. When I asked about the result, he laughed. “That examination has nothing to do you all. I was doing Master in Education (M.ED.) from the santiniketan university. I had to submit a report regarding the education standard of high school students in different subjects in my block. The examination had nothing to do with admission or scholarship”.  He regretted that he should have communicated the purpose of examination to the students that day only. He realized that it was  communication gap from school as well as his side. I felt relieved to know about it.



~~~ Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment