Total Pageviews

22 August, 2015

My Friend and The Left Hand Writing --



He was one year senior to me in the school. Due to his illness, he could not write final semester examination of Xth class. The headmaster did not sent up him for matriculation board examination. He had to spend one more year in tenth class with us. Few days he was aloof in the class but after that, he started mingling with us. We found out that he was very different from us. Where we used to fear our class teacher, would obey everything without asking any reason, he would confront and ask reason for everything that he felt unreasonable. Our class teacher was very strict person and he was notorious for giving physical punishment to students. Many times, without any valid reasons, he would cane students. One girl of our batch was absent for one day due to some medical reason  but he did not spare her. Later on, we came to know that the girl was his relative. However, our class teacher’s martinet behavior had no impact on our new friend. Many times the class teacher warned him, gave him punishment but he was what he was. He did not change himself according to the wishes of our class teacher. He was a rebel and we adored him. We used to feel pleasure to see our class teacher in foul mood due to him.

One day, during lunch recess, he came to me and asked – “Will you help me?” I was surprised to hear it. He was most audacious boy in out batch; he used to keep good amount of money in his wallet all the time and he had many friends from to school to local area. What help he wants from me – I wondered. “Tell me, if I can do”- I replied.
“You will have to write a letter for me. I want to send the letter to a girl”-He spoke smilingly to me.
“No. I will not do that. This is wrong to write a letter for someone”. Without thinking a second, I replied. He got irritated. “Do not try to be over smart. I know how you help Arshad in writing letter. If you will not write a letter for me, I will complain about you to the class teacher and your family”.
Arshad was our batch mate and he used to love a girl. It was one-sided love and he wanted to send a letter to the girl. He would write a letter and show me for necessary correction. One day when I was reading his letter, our new friend noticed that. Latter, he inquired about it with Arshad and came to know everything. I was very scared when he threatened me to disclose this matter to teachers and family. Even though I knew that I was not guilty of anything but, I was very much aware of the fact that if this complain would go to our class teacher or family, I would get good thrashing from both places. Nobody would care to hear my side of story. I was on back foot, seeing me nervous, he patted at my back.

“But, why do not you write yourself. Why you want me to write”- I wanted to get rid of this work.
“My family knows the girl very well. She is distant relative of my aunty. If she accepts my love then you need not to write any letter further and if she complains , in that case that will not be my handwriting”- What a plan he had ! I had admired him, if he would not have chosen me as scribe. Now I was in his trap.
“I will not write the letter. If they find out my handwriting, then?”-  I was trying to find out excuse.
“Oh! They will not come to know about it. Their family does not live here”- He tried to assured me but I would not listen.
“I heard that Rajendra babu, our first president of country, used to write with both hands. Let me learn to write from left hand then I will write a letter for you. I will not write a letter from right hand”- I wanted to buy time.
“How many days you will take to learn writing from left hand”- He looked interested in my new proposal.
“At least fifteen to twenty days”- I blurted.
“Done! I am giving you  ten days
more for good handwriting. Take one-month time in learning, and then write the letter. I am not in hurry.”- He remarked.

I was in fix. There was no any solution for me except listening him. I started practicing writing from the left hand. Within fifteen days, I found my left handwriting was legible. My friend would enquire about my progress in every second or third day. 
In third week, he looked satisfied with my handwriting.  He told me to write the letter and the day I wrote the letter for him, he took me to the local sweet shop and gave a treat. I took promise from him that he would not tell me to do such work in future. 


He honored the promise and never bothered me after that. Except this aberration, he continued to be a good friend of mine.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey 

No comments:

Post a Comment