Total Pageviews

04 August, 2015

Hoax SMS, Call & Parable ..



Yesterday 3rd August 2015 at 10:04:45 am, I received a SMS from the mobile number +919555376557 . The message was in capital letter. The content of the SMS I am giving below verbatim :-

Good News : Your mobile number has won 2.6 crore in UK BBC Olympic award, to claim ur prize , send your name, address, phone no., Age, sex, job to bbc_claimuk@live.co.uk.

After reading the message, I thought to call on the above number. Later I thought, communicating to the number will serve their purpose only. Anybody can understand that, the message is nothing but a dupe to deceive gullible people. Why on earth, any individual or organization will award such huge money to any mobile number. I have read many stories of cheating and fraud that started with such messages and emails. The best way to deal with such SMS is to avoid it, ignore it.

Like the same, around three years ago, I received a call. The number was from Uttar Pradesh (I have noted down that number somewhere in diary, unable to find out now). The caller was telling that he found a pot full of gold somewhere in Rajasthan. He was almost in very authoritative voice  telling me to come there to collect as his friend had given my number to him. When I told him - I did not know any one by the name who he was referring his friend, I did not want such booty, keep that money yourself, he started abusing me in filthy language. I kept my mobile off that night.

After few months, again, I received the call; the caller explained the same story and wanted to share gold with me. When I advised him to submit the gold to police station as gold, silver or any article of historical importance found during digging the earth is the property of the state. He got enraged with my advice. Again, I faced the same story; the caller used very filthy language. I smsed to that number stating that if I received any call from that number or any other number regarding this, I would certainly complain to police. However, my SMS did not deter them to call me. After five minute of sending SMS, I received the call again from that number and his tone was still vulgar. I had no option but to call police on number 100. The police heard my complain and advised me not to get panic. The police personnel who picked up the phone told me – “many people received such hoax call recently. We are working on it. Wait for some time. If the caller harass you further, go and file the complain at nearest police station.”  After that, I did not receive the call.

Sometimes I wonder, what kind of people they are who do such kind of mean, fraudulent and anti social work. In the 21st century, when the society has advanced so much, they still use gold pot story or lucky award tactics. Truth is that, many of us are very naïve and gullible who come into the trap of such heinous criminal.

I have a friend who is an agriculture laborer. Once he had shared very interesting experience. He told me – “Why not I eat twenty rotis, my hunger does not subside if I get the rotis in free. I do not know why I feel my belly full even in two rotis if  I earn / pay the price of the rotis.”

What my friend ,who is from deprived class shared his experience to me is nothing but a parable for me. Moral of his experience is that a person gets real satisfaction from his hard-earned money only. This parable always saves me from all kind of unholy temptation.  I  firmly believe in hard-earned money, not in luck, lottery or any kind of booty.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment