Total Pageviews

20 August, 2015

The Love letter in English

One day he came to me and asked in very polite tone, - “Bhaiya ji, May I trust you?” I got alarmed. This trust word had put me in trouble two times earlier too. First time, when one of my friends who looked distressed, started his story with the sentence - Can I trust you? –, and ended up with demand of five thousand rupees. I was moved by his story and gave him four thousand rupees (that much only I had that time) immediately. He profusely thanked me for the timely help and never returned after that. Second time a girl very pleadingly asked me- Can I trust you? - , and after that she made me to do all those nonsense / mindless works that I never imagined I would do. Whenever I thought of it, I felt myself stupid, simpleton.

This was third time when somebody was using trust word before broaching the real story.  Considering previous experience, my getting alarmed was natural. I had just nodding acquaintance   with him .He was a distant relative of my friend and few times we exchanged greetings on the road. He used to live nearby my resident, aged around forty years and working in any local restaurant.

“See, I do not know you very well. Please tell me, what do you want to say?”- I was defensive.
“It is not a very big work. I want you to read an English letter for me. I found this letter in my daughter’s school bag. I was cleaning her desk and found it. This letter is not a normal letter, there is a sentence – I love you – written on that. My English is weak but still I can understand few things in English. Please translate line by line for me in Hindi”. I found him very interesting person. I came to know that he had two offspring – one son and one daughter. The son was just three years old and the daughter was studying in class ninth in convent school.

I translated the letter to him. It was a love letter for her daughter written by her schoolmate. The girl had requested the boy to write the letter in English so that  even 
if letter was found out, nobody could be able to read and understand it in her family. I surmised this as the boy praised her for the request and promised further that he would write letter to her in English only. Next paragraph was about how much he missed her after school and in holidays. He looked upset. He told in very grave voice – “bhaiya ji, even son /daughter can take the advantage of your ignorance”. 

“Do not you feel angry?”- I wanted to see his reaction.
Contrary to my expectation, he looked calm. He replied – “bhaiya ji, since last twenty years, I have been working in hotel only. Hospitality sector. Everything is allowed there but anger. I have attended two workshops and two long-term training; practice everything what was taught there. I received five times employee of the year award. Even though my other subjects were good but I was not so strong in English. If my English had been good, I would have been manager by now. Tell me bhaiya ji when I do not get angry anytime in office, how can I be angry on family matter.”

His reply made me smile. He was trying to appear normal but internally he was very disturbed. After few minutes of silence he requested me –“bhaiya ji, Will you write a letter in English for me. Please write exactly, what I say. Do not add or subtract anything.” As per his dictation in Hindi, I wrote the letter.

Dear Daughter,

I found out your letter and read it. I want to tell you one thing. Prime minister and president do not know everything but they run the country smoothly. I may not know English but my ignorance will not hinder in looking after my family. See, I read the letter and replying you too in English only.  Every day, I see young boys and girls come in restaurant and they spend good time there. I serve them and they thank me.  I am not against boy friend or love marriage. You are a student of ninth class, immature, inexperienced and unaware of many dirty things of this world. Please concentrate on study and think of bright career. Do not waste time on other things. When you reach eighteen years and become mature, I will not give you any suggestion or stop you for anything. Now as a father, I am hurt and very sad. If you love and respect me, you will concentrate your time in study only.

Your Papa.

He requested me not to reveal anyone about this incident. When he left my room, I had mixed feeling for him. One part of mine was laughing loudly at him; other part was feeling a great respect for him. Few days he lingered in my mind, I wanted to know the consequence of the letter.

Around six months after the incident, I saw him in the market. He came to me and profusely thanked for my help. He conveyed me that his letter did miracle. After reading the letter, her daughter wept and promised him that she would not indulge in any bad thing. His daughter stood second in the class. He looked happy and before parting once again, he abundantly thanked me.

I too was very delighted as that was the first time anybody put trust in me and the result ended with positive note.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment