Total Pageviews

29 August, 2015

Rakshabandhan and sisters ...



This is the story of more than decade back. I was in defense (Indian Air Force) then. It was occasion of Raksha bandhan and we were celebrating the festival in the billet. My sister had sent me the rakhi well in advance and in letter, she had mentioned auspicious timing for tying it on the wrist.  I was trying to tie the rakhi on the wrist by myself but I was struggling with it. One of my colleagues saw it and came to me. “Do not tie the rakhi until I come”- he commanded. He came after half an hour. He brought one big decorated thali in his hand and the thali had an earthen lamp, curd smeared with vermilion, sweets, fruits and few rakhi. He took my rakhi and put it in the thali.  After that, he put the curd smeared vermilion on my forehead, tied the rakhi and fed the rosgoola in my mouth. When tying ritual was over, he demanded gift. “Where is my gift? I completed the work of didi, I also deserve gift”- he reasoned.  His demand made me laugh and what so ever money I had in my pocket I put it on the thali. He rejoiced to see my leniency. There were many friends, whose rakhi could come on time and they were a bit low and disappointed that day. He tied the rakhi to other friends too and he made them happy. In evening, we celebrated party with the collected money.
That was indeed memorable raksha bandhan festival and my friend’s innovative effort brought smile on many faces that day.

My elder sister has unique way to celebrate this festival. She ties rakhi to me whenever I meet her and prays for my safety and well-being. On Rakshabandhan day, generally she would call and bless me. I have many cousin sisters, they used to tie me rakhi when I was in Bihar. Interestingly, at present I am not in communication with any one of them. Even though I am not in touch with them from long, I remember them on this occasion and  wish all happiness to them.

Besides my sibling and my cousin sisters, I have few sisters who are not my blood relative but they are as dear to me as my own sister is. They all came in my life during my distress period, helped me and gave me mental and emotional support. When I look back, I feel, they were and have been extremely good to me and I have not done anything even to acknowledge their goodness. I thank god to bring such nice souls in my life and pray for their well being and happiness.

Without fail, I have been receiving rakhi from one of my sisters from more than last ten years. She is my friend’s sister and I met with her when I was admitted in Air force command hospital Bangalore. My friend’s family (his parents and siblings) used to visit me regularly there. During my hospitalization period, they acted as my local guardian. Two days before, I received her letter and rakhi. The letter was in calligraphy and I remembered she had taught me calligraphy. I became quite emotional. This is the only rakhi that I have received this year. I thank her from the bottom end of my heart for sending the rakhi and remembering me.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey


No comments:

Post a Comment