Total Pageviews

13 August, 2015

My Friend and His Love Interest -



One day during lunch recess Arshad confided a secret to me – “you Know, I am in love”
I laughed loudly. Arshad was a new student in our school. Earlier he used to study somewhere else, but got admission in our school due to recommendation of our Urdu teacher. He was lean, tall, but a handsome guy who was quite taciturn and introvert. He had very limited friend say one or two. Generally, he would avoid school uniform and come in fancy dress.  Many times, he got scolding for it by the class teacher. I heard, he had written some genuine excuse for not coming in uniform, after that class teacher stopped scolding him. Except this aberration, otherwise he was a disciplined student.

Arshad was elder to me; not only me,  he 
was elder to all students of our batch. He was weak in study and in first trimester in Xth class, except Urdu and Farsi, either he failed or just got pass marks in other subjects. I came to know that, his abbu had sent him to Mumbai for job when he failed in class viii. He worked there for almost three years and there he realized the importance of study.  Maulvi sahib (Urdu teacher of our school) helped him getting admission in our school. He had no big academic ambition; just he wanted to pass matriculation. One day he told me that in Mumbai,  one who is not tenth pass is considered as uneducated. He wanted to pass matriculation, so that he could not be considered as uneducated in Mumbai. 

Arshad had very clear idea about his future. After matriculation, he would learn suit stitching for five years and during that time, he would collect all salary in bank account. When the bank account would be full of money, then he would purchase a tailoring shop and start his business. He was confident that within ten to fifteen years he would be richest man in his colony. I never contradicted him because whenever I wanted to tell the importance of education he would tell me Mumbai and its lifestyle.  I had never been to Mumbai and his Mumbai talk used to intimidate me. He had told me so many glamorous stories about Mumbai that many times I contemplated to visit Mumbai immediately after passing the matriculation.

A girl in our class was my friend’s love interest. She was the daughter of a doctor and she was a bright student. Her father was only M.D. ( there were many M.B.B.S doctors but no one was M.D. ) in the town, not only that he had travelled hajj twice. He was a good medical professional, used to lead a simple life and a gentle man in every aspect.  He enjoyed a great respect from the local people.  Our school was three kilometer faraway from his quarter but his children (the girl- my school mate, the son- one class junior) would come school by walk. My friend used to think that he was in love with that girl.

Everyday he would write a letter to her and show me for content and spelling check. I used to find his letter very melodramatic and strange. I would disapprove his writing; he would get angry and tear the letter. This routine continued for almost one week. One day he got very angry with me. That day I did not say anything about his letter. He decided that he would deliver the letter but he could not do so. Deep inside, he had fear of rejection from the girl.

One day I advised him- “why not you change your plan and try to become doctor. If you do so, your chance of getting her would be very high”. He ridiculed my thought. “Oh! You do not know anything about love and its story”. He told me many filmy stories in that boys doing menial job or job that do not need higher education married to educated and well to do girls”.  That day I came to know that there is a world beyond books too. I was very impressed with his filmy knowledge. He recommended me many movies to watch to understand love story. Unfortunately, I could not do in my school time but his argument whetted my appetite to watch movies.

The girl was good friend of mine. Until eighth class, many times we had tiffin together in common room. Her brother who was one class junior to me, used to take my help in mathematics and physics. One day, when school was over she talked with me about Arshad. “You are a good guy. You should not spend time with him. He is not serious about study. He does not come in uniform. Moreover, I do not like, the way he sees me”.
I heard her advice and assured her that I would not talk with him. Next day I told him very clearly that I would not be his friend anymore. He was disappointed. When he asked reason, I did not tell him anything.

After that, I came to know that Arshad finally delivered a love letter to her. She complained about it to maulvi sir. Maulvi sir gave him almost one-hour sermon and he got so affected by that incident that he became irregular in attendance.

When our matriculation result was out, after my result, I checked his result too. He was passed matriculation with second division. I was very happy for him. When I enquired about him to my junior who was his neighbor, I came to know that he already shifted to Mumbai. After that, I never heard of him.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey


No comments:

Post a Comment