Total Pageviews

05 August, 2015

SSQ, Shenaz & My Love ..

When I entered into the cabin of Medical officer colonel Chakrabarty, the medical assistant of the station sick quarter (SSQ) was already there. He was standing in attention position and after seeing me, he simpered. Morning I had altercation with him. As per the rule of SSQ, watching television (TV) during doctor ward round was prohibited. The ward round time was from 9am-11am. The recreation room was separated from the patient ward by a glass wall.  After getting my check up done, I would go recreation room and watch TV. The medical assistant, citing the rule, requested me not to watch TV in ward round time. I did not listen and he complained to Medical officer Colonel Chakarbarty.  At that time, Colonel Chakrabarty was writing something on paper, when he finished he looked at me. I greeted him. Without replying the greet, he spoke “Mr. Dubey, in defence, I am not only a doctor but an officer too. You are not only a patient but also a disciplined member of defence (Air Force ) family. Why these complain against you? Why do you watch TV during doctor’s ward round time?”
I did not speak for some time. He commanded, “Tell something”.
“Sir, I like the programme ‘MTV Most wanted ‘and I like the VJ Shenaz. The program comes at 10 am during ward round time”- I blurted.
“What???” – He was surprised on my honest confession.
“What do you like most -programme or VJ” – This was next question.
“VJ Shenaz presents the programme very nicely. She is really a cool VJ”- I answered.
“Then tomorrow at 10 am, I will also have to come to see your VJ. Let me see how cool she is” – he was laughing.  Anyways, I got the permission to watch TV in reduced voice.

When we came out of the cabin, the medical assistant (I do not remember his name) explained that he had nothing against me; he was just doing his duty.  After this incident, He became good friend of mine. He was from a lower middle class Jat family of Haryana with three years of service length in defence. Recently he had purchased a two-wheeler from the defense canteen, beside bike; his other precious possessions were three ray ban goggles, a good number of branded jeans & t- shirt and two woodland shoes and with these possessions, he used to flaunt before subordinates.

One day he confided a secret to me – “I have a girl friend, studying in Inter second year. We met at Marina beach, we spend every Sunday together and every night she calls me on my office number. We usually talk for hours. Tomorrow on Saturday, I am going on leave for ten days. If she calls here, please inform her that due to some urgent work I went on leave. Say not to call or inquire about me on office number during my leave period.”
“But why do not you inform her directly?”- I advised him.
“Oh! That I cannot do. She made a plan to visit Mahabalipuram this Sunday and I gave assent to her plan, but I am going home.”- He explained.
I assured him that I would say the same to her what he briefed me. The landline phone receiver was in recreation room and I was eagerly waiting for her call.

On Saturday night, at around 11pm, the phone rang. I understood that that would be her phone. True, it was she only. I explained her everything and informed her that he would come after ten days. I was relieved thinking that my friendly responsibility is over, but I was not knowing that it has just started.
“But who are you”- she asked.
“I am a patient, recuperating in SSQ. He became my friend here.”- I answered.
“ are you ok ? Were you seriously ill? How long have you been in hospital?”- There was concerned in her voice.
I answered her all question.  She asked many questions, about like, dislike, home state, job, hospital, food habit, defence culture etc. when she exhausted , she asked “ May I call you tomorrow ? I like talking with you.”

It was true, I too liked talking with her but I had a guilt feeling. How can I talk to my friend’s girl friend?  When I expressed my view to her, She laughed “oh! I am not telling you to become my boy friend. Just I want to talk. You know, I feel lonely in house.”
I come to know that her father a marine engineer and her mother was a lecturer somewhere three hundred kilometer faraway from Chennai.  She was seventeen years old, inter second years student and she was getting training in music and dance.

From that day onwards, everyday, she would call me around 11 pm and our talk would go on till 4am. One day she sang few songs of vengaboys and aqua. Indeed, she had very nice voice.
“Do you have girlfriend “- on fifth day she asked.
If she had asked first day this question, I would have answered this in negation. During these five days, a rapport had built up between us. I thought to be honest in my answer.
“I do not know whether she is my girl friend or not, but there is a girl who gave me a letter when I was in hospital. After that, few times we have met. We have exchanged few letters. She is from D-Dun, staying in hostel. From two months I have not communicated.” – I confessed.
“Oh! You should talk to her. Do you have her hostel number?”
“But how can I call her. The warden will not allow me to talk with her”
“true! But pretend her relative, father, brother or uncle over phone – then you may talk to her” – she encouraged me.

That idea struck me. There was a phone booth in the campus. Next day evening I went to the booth tried to call on hostel number. It was very difficult for me to pretend someone. I was feeling as if I was going to do some crime. I could not phone her. I do not know why that day I felt that I should not even talk to my friend’s girlfriend. Suddenly I stopped attending her phone. That night her phone came, I disconnected. Next day I did the same. Then after, she did not call on SSQ number.

That was the story of year 2000. At that time, I was infatuated with VJ Shenaz. I would not miss her any episode of MTV most wanted. I saw her in movie ‘Ishq-vishq’ but I did not like her work. Last time she was in news when she wrote to prime minister and other celebrities about women safety.  Today I checked her profile on Wikipedia and find out she is panelist on the programme ‘The Nightly show with Larry Willmore’.

After SSQ, I did not keep any communication with the medical assistant or his girl friend. Few months back, I saw in dream a girl singing the song ‘salalala... song ‘for me. I kept thinking about the dream and when I put pressure on my mind then I realized it was the voice of the medical assistant’s girl friend.  That day I felt, how wonderful and amazing our mind is. It stores everything without any decay.

After hospital, I never met or communicated to the girl who had borderline love with me. Recently, I checked her name on face book and got thirty finding. I thought to check each one, then felt, it was nothing but a waste of time. I smiled and removed her name from ‘search face book’.

  ~~~ Ramanuj Dubey


No comments:

Post a Comment