Total Pageviews

01 August, 2015

ICU and the Old Man .



When I was shifted from general ward to intensive care unit (ICU), at that time I was writhing in pain. I had shooting pain in my left hand and I was vigorously throwing my hand in air. Pain was unbearable and my head was spinning. The doctor arrived and checked my blood pressure and temperature.

 ‘Temperature is normal but blood pressure is quite high’- he told to compounder and prescribed some medicines on the paper. Meanwhile, a nurse came and administered an injection to me. After injection, what happened that night I did not know. Next day morning when I woke up, I saw some saline water with some medicines was given to me through vein. My left hand was swollen and right hand was engaged through pipe connected to saline bottle. I felt as if I was invalid.

‘How is your pain, young man’- the doctor asked me.
‘Not feeling well, unable to move my hand – dull pain everywhere ‘- I was in tear.
‘Do not worry, everything will be all right. You will be alright very soon’- there was optimism in his voice.

After three days, the swollen part of my left hand subsided, pain was still there.  First time in my life (of course, after childhood), I was completely dependent on others. It was too embarrassing to call ward boy /some body for helping me in even attending natural calls. In nighttime, on few occasions, even nurse helped me in it.  I was in that condition for next seven days. Despite of all available protective treatment, care and facilities, Intensive care unit was not less than a hell for me. After ten days, my condition improved and I asked doctor to shift me from ICU to other ward, but doctor would not listen.

‘No, we will keep you here some more days for observation. If your condition is stable, then only we will shift you in other ward’- he said to me.
‘Now I am a walking patient. Feeling good. ICU appears jail to me now, cannot lie on the bed all the time ‘- I retorted.
‘Think ICU a part of prescription only. We too, do not want to keep any patient in ICU unnecessary.’- He smiled and left my bed.

Next day morning, one old man was shifted in the ICU adjacent to my bed. When he was shifted, at that time his bed was covered with moving screen but later on it was removed. He was around eighty years old, a freedom fighter and retired government officer. When he was admitted that time, his condition was looking worse but by the evening, he recovered well. I greeted him in the evening. He smiled and asked about me.  He looked very concerned when He came to know I too was a patient.

In night around 2am, he needed water. He called nurse for it. Because of hectic evening schedule, the nurse was dozing off in the cabin. I woke up and gave him water. His next medicine was around 5 am, at that time I woke up the nurse. Then next two days, I took care of his medicine and other needs. He was a talkative old man, he told many stories of his college days, offices and his family. These two days, ICU was not so boring. I liked the old man.

Third day, in the evening, he called me to his bed and then he called the doctor. Before the doctor, he started praising me a lot. He inquired from the doctor what problem I was facing and what my medical condition was. When he came to know that I would be discharged very soon, he was happy. After Doctor left the ICU, he blessed me profusely and prayed for my speedy recovery. I was overwhelmed by his love and affection. That night before sleeping, I did not know why I offered him a glass of water , touched his feet and thanked him for his blessings.
Next morning, when I woke up, I saw that bed empty. When I asked the nurse, she told me that he had been shifted some other place. I was sad.


After two days, I was also shifted from ICU to other ward. Before leaving the ICU, I asked the address of the old man. The nurse replied- ‘You know Ramanuj, that day, I did not tell you the truth.  The old man died that night only. His body was taken to his native place that night.. ..

I could not hear what she was telling.I was shocked to hear about his death. I was sobbing.

This is the incident of almost one and half decade ago ,still I remember his blessing and saintly & glowing face.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey



No comments:

Post a Comment