Total Pageviews

24 August, 2015

The Holidays in Savan month ..



One day our teacher announced in the class room– “From tomorrow, Savan month will start. This is the auspicious month for everyone here. Large numbers of devotees take dip in the holy Ganga at Sultanganj (town situated at the bank of river Ganga) pick up holy water from there, and travel by walk around hundred kilometers to Devghar (town  famous for lord shiva temple)  and pour the jal (Holy water) on Lord Shiva. There will be traffic and rush on the road for almost one month. There are few Dharmshala , private lodge and hotel in this area. Many devotees do not get proper place to sleep, to take rest, to do cooking and other necessary works. As our school is nearby road and we do not have boundary wall, many devotees intrude in our school and stay here. We cannot be insensitive with devotees. From tomorrow, devotees will occupy this school /place for a month and in that condition, we will not be able to conduct classes. Therefore, you will have one-month holidays from tomorrow onwards.”
Are wah!” – One of my friends exclaimed – “How lucky we are, we have just completed our one month summer vacation and again this Savan vacation.”
“Sir, every school will have one month holiday”- one of my schoolmates asked the question. He looked confused because he never heard of holidays due to savan month.
“No, this is a local holiday arrangement. Our school is only facing this issue. Do not spread this matter to the students of other schools. Enjoy holidays and complete the assignment that I am going to give you all”- He gave assignment and our school was closed for one month.

When my father came to know about this unauthorized holiday, he looked concerned. Next day, he met with the headmaster. The headmaster explained to him –“See, we are also not very happy to close the school for one month but what to do. Devotees occupy the place everywhere. They keep their Kanwar (decorated bamboo staff) in the field, sleep on veranda, do bhajan kirtan, sing devotional songs, cook food and eat them there. They come in large number and we cannot force them to evict the place. They come from far-flung area. What impression they will have of us, if we do not treat them well”.
“Fine, but why do not you construct boundary wall around the school”- my father advised him a solution.
“ Boundary wall has been in my mind from long, but school management does not have sufficient fund to get it done. We had written about it to local M.L.A and he assured us for it. Three years passed, we got nothing expect assurance.”- He answered.
“But what about my child’s study? His future?”-  My father looked irritated by the answer.
“Do not worry. I assure you; all teachers will cover up the syllabus in time. If extra class is needed that also will be given to students. We are as concerned for children’s study and future as their parents.”
My father was not convinced but he had no option. During meeting with headmaster, I was also with my father. When we were leaving, headmaster told us to stay for few minutes and brought chocolates for me. I took all the chocolates and put in the pocket but my father was not impressed with the headmaster.

After one week of this incident, I along with my grandfather went to market and found that our every teacher had opened up temporary shop at roadside for devotees. One had fruit shop, second had chat shop, third had shops of milk items; the headmaster had opened medical care shop/ dispensary. Every shop had three to four attendant and they were calling devotees to visit their respective shops.  The shops were full of devotee customers.
“Oh! Our teachers are earning money by doing business in this month. The holiday, they declared so that they can do business activity”- I thought.

That year, I was in class VI. I have many interesting and unforgettable memories of class VI. That was happening year for me in many ways. I enjoyed two long months holiday in a year but I do not regret it. I utilized the time by reading many children magazines, comics and few novels and inculcated the habit of reading beyond text book . My father was bitterly disappointed with the school and the headmaster. Next year, for VII class, I moved from there and joined the high school.

~~~ Ramanuj Dubey

No comments:

Post a Comment